Saturday, November 12, 2011

Alternative Shampoo

I never would have thought I would be replacing shampoo with a simple baking soda mixture, but here I am doing it thanks to Coyne & Knutzen's Making It: Radical Home Ec for a Post-Consumer World.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 cup water
Spray Bottle

Directions:
Mix the water and baking soda in the spray bottle.
Never use more than the 1:1 ratio. Less baking soda is actually better, because baking soda is apparently a  strong buildup remover. Note that it is too strong for daily use and should only be used when your hair needs a deep cleaning. For other days Coyne & Knutzen have 3 other recipes, but personally I only shampoo ever 2-3 washes, especially now that I am using less product, so this works just fine for me.
Add the mixture to your hair and work it through. I love giving myself a scalp massage and really getting all that buildup out. Rinse and follow with the Hair Rinse.

No comments:

Post a Comment