Monday, June 3, 2013

Beet Juice

I keep hearing about the power of beets. They are supposed to be full of antioxidants. They're a good source of fiber and iron and they are also a great source of nitrates, which have shown to improve mechanical efficiency (as in you produce more power burning the same amount of energy).

Personally I don't really like beets, but according to various sources beets are a triathlete's (aka me) best friend.

Well beets, meet my other best friend: Mr. Vitamix. Let's see if together, you can turn me into a beet lover.




Recipe:
1/2 beet (peeled & chopped)
1/4 ginger (peeled & chopped)
1/2 - 1 cup frozen berries
1 cup lemonade

Put in Vitamix. Turn on variable 1, bring to 10, then switch to high and blend until smooth.

If you want it thinner, add water or lemonade. If you hate having texture, adding more liquid should help and you can also blend longer or strain. If you want it sweeter add some honey.

Beets typically have that root taste, but the berries and ginger mellow it out. The ginger gives it a nice kick, so be ready for it!
Beets still won't be my number one vegetable choice, but this juice is actually quite delicious and if it makes me healthier I'm all for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment