Monday, January 16, 2012

DIY Tooth Powder & Toothpaste

About two months ago I started using a baking soda tooth powder instead of store bought toothpaste. I found the recipe in my new favorite DIY book, Making It- Radical Home Ec for a Post-consumer World.  I'm going to admit that the taste of baking soda takes some getting used to and it's not for everyone.

That said, it is definitely for me. I switched back to toothpaste for a few days to do a comparison and I can definitely tell you that my breath is fresher and stays fresher longer when I use the homemade tooth powder. In general I also feel like my teeth are cleaner, although I would have to follow-up with the dentist to verify that one. (Last time I switched from to Tom's my dentist definitely noticed a difference in my teeth, so I wonder if he'll notice a difference now).

Ingredients:
1/4 cup baking soda
1 tablespoon powdered sage
Peppermint oil

You can make the recipe without sage.
I used sage because it is good for the gums.


Directions:
Mix the baking powder with the sage powder in a small container. Add drops of peppermint oil. I used approximately 25-30, but I like mine fairly strong. I recommend starting with about 10-15 drops and seeing how it smells and tastes. Once you are ready to use it, just dip you wet toothbrush into the bowl and brush as usual.

As Coyne & Knutzen recommend in Making It, it's best to mix the powder in small batches, because essential oil fades over time.

Making the tooth powder into toothpaste:
As I explored ways to make the tooth powder into a toothpaste, I discovered SimpleMom's homemade toothpaste recipe. The basics recipe is listed below or you can just use 1-2 tablespoon of the tooth powder and mix it with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. I have found that the toothpaste tastes saltier than the tooth powder, so you may want to add a few more drops of peppermint oil.


Ingredients:
2-3 tablespoons baking soda
2 tablespoons coconut oil
Peppermint oil

Directions:
Mix the ingredients with a fork until it becomes smooth paste. To use, just dip you toothbrush in or use a teaspoon to put some on your toothbrush. Brush as usual.


I was skeptical about using coconut oil, but multiple websites state that coconut oil helps stop tooth decay and keeps your gums healthy. One thing to note is that coconut oil has a melting point of 76 degrees so the thickness of your toothpaste will depend on your bathroom's temperature. Since your using coconut oil, SimpleMom also recommends cleaning your sink with hot water to avoid oil build-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment