Monday, October 24, 2011

Homemade Deep Conditioner


Ingredients:
1/2 avocado (Hass)
1/2 can of coconut milk
1 /4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup honey

You can use the entire avocado and can of coconut milk if you would like. You can refrigerate any unused mixture, but I would recommend removing the mixture from the refrigerate well before you plan on using it otherwise it will be very cold!

Directions:
Mash the avocado and add the coconut milk.
Strain the mixture and pour into a jar or bottle.
Add the olive oil and the honey. Close the jar and shake vigorously.
Once the ingredients are mixed, the mixture is ready to use.

I have been experimenting with different ways of appling the conditioner.
The first time, I added it to my hair when it was still dry and let it sit for ~30 minutes. Then I rinsed it out and used a little bit of Low-poo from DevaCurl. Using shampoo after the deep conditioner seems a bit counter intuitive, but I was scared the mixture would leave my hair too oily. It didn't and my hair was actually really easy to handle and looked great.
The second time, I used shampoo first, then used the mixture on my already wet hair and let it sit for ~10min. Having my hair already wet, made it a little harder to brush the mixture through my hair and my hair feels a bit coarser (see protein sensitivity note below), but it dried very nicely (longer curls).
Next time I'm going to just add the mixture to my hair when it is dry, let is sit and then rinse it out.

Modifications:
I created my recipe based on various Internet searches. Styles 101 lists a different avocado recipe (using mayonnaise), in addition to a range of other recipes. I will probably be experimenting with those recipes as well until I find the perfect conditioner for my dry and curly hair. CurlyNikki also has a long list of recipes.
If you want to experiment, some common ingredients include olive oil, apple cider vinegar, coconut milk, mayonnaise, honey and Castor oil. If you test any recipe combinations, let me know how it turns out!

Choosing Ingredients Based on Hairs Needs:
I've also been reading about protein sensitive hair, which is basically hair that looks and feels dry and brittle as a result of having too much protein applied to it. This is definitely something I will continue looking into, because there are many recipes available that omit protein-rich products.
While I am mostly focusing on dry and curly hair, there are also many recipes available for straight, normal and oily hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment